This blog belongs to Jen Walker - aspiring novelist, author, writter, and avid traveler...Thanks for stopping by.

Follow me on Twitter @jenwalkerwrites

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The end of bookstores?

So this past weekend I had a mixed experience, part sad and part happy. You see, I went to a Borders store. It seems they are the latest victim to the economic trouble or perhaps the latest victim to the rise of the online reality. If you haven't heard Borders bookstores are closing.

So the sad is because I love bookstores. Big giant mega stores like Barnes and Noble (where as a kid I though it would be the most awesome job to work at Barnes and Noble - around all those books every day). I also love quaint street corner local bookstores (where I have met favorite authors, got great recommendations from the staff, and felt at home enough to pull up a chair and browse a potential purchase).

I love the stores and I love actual books. I love the feel of the paper, the sight of the large daunting stack of things to read by my bed. I have read books on an electronic reader, and there is a thrill of being able to carry something so little with some many stories - and being about the purchase a new title without leaving the house. But I have to wonder ... is this the demise of the paper page?

The happy part of me was elated at the thought of being able to purchase tons of new reading possibilities for cheap. Not that I don't already have a stack of at least ten plus books already lined up to read...no seriously, I need to start making some headway on that. My stack keeps growing with new purchases but it doesn't shrink quite as fast.

My favorite Borders was in Norman, Oklahoma. It had the perfect mix of selection, seating, music, and an awesome staff and cafe. Still to this day (although I guess no more) when we are in Norman we swing by Borders to browse and usually make a purchase.

So Borders this toast is for you! And Borders staff thank you so much for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment